It was Thursday, May 13th, and I had done everything that I could do to make sure that my friend Audree received her evaluation from Doctor Young that week so that she could be released from the nursing home.  For two months she had diligently performed all the leg and arm exercises I had prescribed for her, and even created some of her own!  She told me that sometimes she would be doing her exercises at 2 a.m. in the morning while everyone else was asleep!  When she told me that, I was convinced that she was committed to leaving the nursing home… by walking out on her own!  The nurses even confirmed that she was eating all of her food, especially, if I was there watching her! (I explained to Audree that even though she didn’t like the food, that she needed to nutrition for her muscles to get stronger.)

Aduree had been waiting for the doctor, all morning long, and when I showed up at about 10am, he had not arrived yet, so I gave his office a call, and they assured me that he would be there because he had to be back at his office for 1:00 p.m. appointments.  I relaxed, went to run an errand, and came back about 12 noon and he still had not arrived.  I was prepared to stay and wait for him with Audree, and at 12:30 I started getting concerned and called his office again.  This time, they gave me his cell phone number, and I called and talked to him myself!  He assured me that he was on his way there at that time, and I was happy to know that!….FINALLY he arrived a little before 2 pm, and I was glad that I was there to give Audree support during her examination.  He had her stand up from the wheelchair several times, which wasn’t that easy for Audree.  But with two or three attempts she was able to do it, and I silently breathed a sigh of relief!  He also tested her arm strength, and said that he would sign her release papers and turn her back over to her primary doctor for her “at home” care arrangements!  Audree was estactic and I was too!  He said that she could go home tonight, if she had someone who could stay with her!

I had arranged for her to temporarily stay with her friend, Della, because there were people in and out of the house all day, and she would not be alone.  I called Della and let her know that I planned to bring Audree to her house on Friday.  Della said that her room was ready, but that she could not be her Care Provider, and that I needed to come over so that we could discuss the possibilities for Audree’s care.  I met with Della that night and she gave me a list of several names of people who could be Care Providers.  After discussing each person on the list, we both decided that Marilyn would be the best choice, and she called her immediately to see if she was available and ready to do the job.  Marilyn was available and ready to go into action getting the necessary paperwork in place with the Department of Social Services.

It’s been almost a month since Audree regained her Power of Attorney and signed herself out of the nursing home.  I took her shopping for healthy organic food at Trader Joe’s, arranged for her to purchase her first Laptop Computer from Frye’s to help exercise her mind, and just this past Tuesday, moved her back into her own Senior Citizen Apartment, where she is HAPPY AS SHE COULD BE!  Now Marilyn, her Care Provider, is there with her everyday, and is a God-Send, helping Audree make doctor appointments and getting her business affairs in order, as well as arrange for all the in-home services Audree needs to continue living her life to the FULLEST!  GOD IS GOOD!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: